Province of Varese
HOME PAGE -> Italy -> North-West Italy -> Lombardy -> Province of Varese ->Saronno
Saronno is one of 141 municipalities of Province of Varese.
Inhabitants: includes approximately 37560 inhabitants.
Elevation: approximately 212 meters above sea level.
Border municipalities: Saronno borders : Caronno Pertusella, Ceriano Laghetto (MI), Cogliate (MI), Gerenzano, Origgio, Rovello Porro (CO), Solaro (MI), Uboldo.
Postal code: 21047
Phone code: 02
ISTAT code: 12119
Italian name of the inhabitants: Saronnesi
The city is located in the territory dell'Altomilanese, at the intersection between the provinces of Milan, Como, Varese and Monza and Brianza, without being closely linked to any of the capitals. A considerable part of the population gravity, for reasons of work or study, of Milan, but the city also enjoys a life of its own, involving the inhabitants of the neighboring municipalities (Gerenzano, Turate, Uboldo, Rovello Porro, Origgio, Caronno Pertusella , Solaro, Cogliate, Lazzate, Misinto, Rovellasca, Ceriano), which also contributes to the rich choice of high schools.
Among the attractions, one can cite an old town with limited traffic, the largest in the province of Varese, a public school system and non-state full, from kindergarten up to a university course (Kinesiology University of Insubria ), the CDD "Blessed Teresa of Calcutta", the Community Accommodation Disabled "John Paul II", the rail link with Milan, Como, Varese, Laveno, Novara and Milan Malpensa (Saronno is the core of Ferrovienord), an indoor pool with all 'open and ice-skating rink (seasonal), stadium and sports hall, one in Lombardy tracks indoor sports, outdoor market on Wednesday morning (with over 300 stalls), three nursing homes, three cinemas arena summer, the Civic Theatre "Giuditta Pasta", the public library, in existence for over fifty years and entitled to Oriana Fallaci in 2006, the Auditorium Aldo Moro, Villa Gianetti with multiple functions, a network of small museums with significant collections: Museum Gianetti for porcelain and ceramics; Picture Gallery and Archives of the Sanctuary; Museum of Blessed Luigi Maria Monti MILS Museum of industries and work of Saronnesi; Collection at Villa De Rocchi Gianetti, a very strong presence of associations (about two hundred, including sports) and a space (the telos Squat). Are also present important public offices (Regional Court, Justice of the Peace, Inland Revenue, INAIL, Chamber of Commerce, Saronno Spa facilities).
Before reaching the final name of Saronno, over the centuries the town has taken many names found through storical documents. In order of time, was called Saronno Solomno (year 903), Serogno (year 1150), Sorogno (XII century), Serono (XIII century) and immediately after Sarono. There are at least one witness that seals in Saronno the Roman period: altar pagan granite, located in the walls of the church of San Francesco is visible from the side of Via Carcano, north-east. The inscription, dating back to the I-II century AD, bore witness to the faith of the merchant Quintus Cassius to the gods and goddesses.
In the struggles that arose between the noble families of the Torriani and Visconti of Milan, Saronno sided with the latter and in 1284 Visconti troops moved for an expedition against Como. The war, which lasted two years, ended with the peace agreement of April 2, 1286 between Lomazzo and Rodello (Rovello), the presence of two monks of the monastery of San Francesco di Saronno. The Visconti in Milan was increasingly consolidated in the XII century and extended its influence in almost all of Lombardy with the turn of the next century. In 1499, Saronno, suffered the French domination. In the two following years, 1510 and 1511, the Swiss army moved against the French unleashing a furious offensive against the Duchy of Milan and then against Saronno, sacking and taking huge sums of money. Under the Spanish government, which took over from the half of the 500 until the early years of the eighteenth century, a plague broke out terrible (August 1576 - May 1577) which resulted in Saronno the death of about 3,000 people. The “Lazzaretto” was the little church of S. Antonio Abate who welcomed the flood of plague victims. The survivors of the plague, after the vote of fasting expressed in the small parish church, went in procession to the “Beata Vergine dei Miracoli” with supply of candles, tradition and vote that even today, in the month of March the community of Saronnesi external faith and devotion. Taken over by the Austrian Government that in Spain, the situation improved steadily, so much so that in the census of 1708 the population reached the figure of 2038 inhabitants. The saronnesi resumed till the soil, to restructure and build houses, to operate in different markets and to increase economic activity and production in general. Saronno reached an ever more important and strategic, both in the administrative structure of the Church. Proof of this is that since 1721 was elevated to head to Prepositura, when hitherto depended on the parish of Nerviano. With the French rule was abolished the feudal system with the appointment in each municipality of local administrators, employees of departmental prefects.
In 1827, the village was devastated by a terrible fire that burned 36 houses, inhabited by 118 families, about 800 people in consequence, went broke. The fire spread quickly, aided by the wind between the houses, from north to south. The population watched helplessly the disastrous event. In the desolation of the place were crying, ruins and poverty. The district was hit to San Cristoforo, in the heart of the old Saronno. In aid of Saronno and dysfunctional families, there was a moving outpouring of solidarity with generous donations from many Lombard cities, especially in Milan more than any other that stood out in this regard. The opera singer Saronnesi Giuditta Pasta Negri, thanks to his imposing figure of the artist of that time, not a little sensitized the public to show solidarity for Saronno. Peoples in gratitude, erected (1830) a monument in Piazza Grande (commonly known as the "Ciocchina"). The period of Lombardy-Venetia was practically a possession of the Austrian crown, awarded from 1818 to 1848 the Archduke Ranieri, brother of Emperor Franz I. By achieving the unification of Italy Saronno became part of the most recent and well-known chapters of its history dotted however, along with the rest of the entire peninsula, two disastrous world wars (1915-1918 e1940-1945) fortunately made behind the Liberation "of 25 April 1945." After the second, Saronno became a center of the ancient market and agricultural village to an important commercial and industrial center.
Folklore, Culture and Traditions
Takes place Jan. 17 at the church of S. Antonio, a time Lazzaretto during the plague.
It takes place June 29 and are celebrated Saints Peter and Paul, the patron saints of the city. In the morning, at 10.00, is celebrated at the Church Prepositurale, dedicated precisely to the Saints Peter and Paul, S. Solemn Mass in the presence of the city authorities, associations, groups, choirs and pastoral council of Prepositurale is burned and the typical "ball" of cotton.
Mercato di Saronno
Belongs to the most valuable pieces of traditions saronnesi. It came from early history of the city of Saronno, which has its roots in the Middle Ages since its notoriety the market Saronno has far exceeded the confines of Lombardy. In the 1800, Saronno allowed the market once a week (Wednesday), while in 1900 was done three times (Monday, Wednesday, Friday). The mid-twentieth century, the market returned weekly with a small presence on Saturday. Over the years, in 1960 disappeared while the Saturday market, after an endless series of disputes about the choice to take on the topographic position of the market, the stalls were moved from the center to be transferred to the north-west of the city, where an island special greets him, every Wednesday.
Monuments and Places
Santuario della beata vergine dei miracoli
The Santuario della Beata Vergine dei Miracoli in Saronno is one of the most important monuments of the Renaissance in Milan and its territory. Built and decorated between 1498 and the second half of the seventeenth century, contains outstanding examples of painting - Bernardino Luini, Gaudenzio Ferrari, Cesare Magni, the Procaccini, the Legnanino - and sculpture - and Andrea Battista da Corbetta, Giulio Oggioni, Pompeo Marchesi.
Chiesa di Sant'Antonio Abate
At the time of the plague (1576), the church of the ancient family reason Zerbi, had attached a Lazzaretto destined to plague and was consecrated by S. Carlo. The plague led to the death over 3000 inhabitants, some of whom were assisted, encouraged and administered the Sacrament of Extreme Unction by the same saint of Milan. Another outbreak occurred in 1630 with the arrival of Landsknecht, with the same frightening falcidie among the inhabitants saronnesi. Inside the church, recently restored (1966-1967), there are three niches on the wall: the first is placed a casket containing some of the bones of plague victims and a sculpture of St. Antonio brick, in the second another statue of terracotta depicting St. Rocco, in the third a marble statue of S. John
Gastronomy, wine and typical products
Amaretto di Saronno, DiSaronno Originale
In 1600, many families would distil their own liqueurs and digestives. The Reina's were just one of those families and Giovanni Reina rediscovered the innkeeper’s old recipe. The Reina family has closely guarded the secret formula, passing it from one generation to the next. In the first years of the twentieth century, Domenico Reina decided to open a store and workshop near the terminus of the steam tram line from Milan, which took the name of “Domenico Reina Coloniali”, situated in the heart of Saronno. It was here that the Disaronno Originale was produced and sold commercially. In 1947, I.L.L.V.A was founded in the wake of the success of this artisan trade. Today, the headquarters are located in the plant in Saronno and the property is 100% owned by the Reina Family. Still to this day, it is where DISARONNO Is produced, along with many other successful Italian brands. Velvety smooth taste and unmistakable aroma gave DISARONNO the reputation of the world’s favourite Italian liqueur, which is stated proudly on its label (from DiSaronno Originale, http://www.disaronno.com/en/story ).
Amaretti di Saronno
Lazzaroni - famous for its traditional Amaretti di Saronno - is one of the oldest and most famous Italian confectionery industries. By the end of the eighteenth century there were reports of a "Laboratory Lazzaroni" that produced the "Amaretti di Saronno" in the first half of the nineteenth century is a precise definition in the dictionary: "candy-round and a little 'spongy, made of bitter almonds seed and fishing ground, mixed with sugar and egg whites and toasted in the oven. If for most of the nineteenth century, the production focuses on Amaretti di Saronno and egg biscuits, since 1888, the year of birth officer, Lazzaroni also develops English type biscuits for tea, crackers, wafer sandwiches, pastries, panettone and chocolate. The great vocation for quality is evidenced by numerous gold medals, badges and awards.
Sport, Fun and Free time
The FBC Saronno 1910 is one of the sixty oldest football clubs in Italy and, before the economic collapse of the early 2000s, he played in Serie C. With regard to cycling to remember the annual competition "Grand Prix City of Saronno," bicycle race at night on the street circuit, organized by Pedal Saronnese under the auspices of the City. The race is open to amateur racing cyclists, and students and beginners and takes place in the streets of the city either in July or September. Below is the basketball very well: the A. S.D. Robur Saronno basketball plays in the National Division C, after a long militancy in series B. The youth sector is one of the best and most prosperous province, the first team is followed by a large number of fans who follow the team with passion blue-white.
For some years, in Saronno, is practiced tchoukball, of which the city is the birthplace of Italian. The Saronno Castor is the first club of tchoukball created in Italy.
Since 2007, moreover, has established the ASD Running Saronno, which has distinguished itself in the scenario with local sports athletes competing in races throughout the year on long distance road and trail running. Also important is the participation in the club volleyball with Volleyball Saronno has seen the escalation of this town to the Series B2. In softball and athletics (the Osa Saronno Libertas) saronnesi various teams are active in championships of great importance.
The city has an area closed sports center, named Felice Dozio, including basketball court, multi-purpose, forums and, above all, a covered platform for various athletics (long jump, high jump, pole vault, 60 m, etc..), only one in Lombardy, already used for training as well as national teams and athletes. There is also a large football stadium, located in Biffi 1, called "Stadium-Colombo Gianetti", which are played home games of Saronno FBC.Notevole is also a wealth of gyms in the city.
In Saronno, you can do shooping in the streets of the historic center.
From Saronno can be reached by train or by car on Lake Como, Lake Maggiore and the Lake of Varese. Between Como, Bellagio and Lecco runs the Larian Triangle destination for hikers and walkers. In less than thirty minutes you can reach Milan, inperdibile destination for those who want to know the history and culture but also for shopping and entertainment. Visit the Cathedral of Milan - Duomo, the Brera Art Gallery, the Museum of the twentieth century, the shopping area of Via Torino, S. Babila and Via Dante and Leonardo da Vinci "last dinner" .
Events and appointments
Information to know
Milan International Exibitions - Fiera di Milano
Milan International Exibitions :
Fiera MilanoCity (Rho)
1) By car : 18km (16 minutes) A8-A9 highway direction Milan to exit Fiera Milanocity (Rho);
2) By train: from Saronno to Milano Cadorna station via Trenord railways and ATM underground (red line, direction Molino Dorino) to Rho-Fiera or Milano Bovisa, then Milano Porta Garibaldi (Passante) and finally Rho Fiera Milano (45-60 min)
Fiera di Milano (downtown)
From Saronno station to Milano Cadorna via Trenord , then Amendola fiera, milanocity via M1
www.comune.saronno.va.it - Saronno Municipality Website
INTERNATIONAL EXIBITIONS IN MILAN - FIERAMILANO RHO and CiTY
MOVE IN LOMBARDY - Timetables and routes to move in Lombardy with trains, buses, subways, trolley cars and all other public transportation
FOLLOW A TRAIN IN LOMBARDY - real time infos for trains in lombardy
TRENORD RAILWAIS - informations regarding trenord
Weather for Lombardia - ARPA lompardia
Stay with local families - Homestay accommodation in Italy
Users and Travellers comments
No comments in archive.